Latest Additions To The Site

Page 1 of 56 1000 Records Found

Introduction: Birmingham’s Early Maps 1731-1831

This gallery has been produced to support a workshop held at the Library of Birmingham. All the maps reproduced here are from those held by Birmingham Archives & Collections. They have been selected by ...

1 The PLAN of BIRMINGHAM Survey'd in the Year 1731

The first printed map of Birmingham, The Plan of Birmingham, surveyed by William Westley in 1731, is dedicated to Warwickshire’s two Members of Parliament, the Honourable Edward Digby and William Peyto ...

Represent Project Introduction

‘Represent’ is a community heritage project exploring the impact of WW1 and gaining the vote on the lives of Birmingham’s people. The People’s Heritage Co-operative was awarded a National Lottery grant ...

A Soldiers Wife For Ladywood

Balsall Heath Residents Action Grioup

Wally Rose, Chair of the Balsall Heath Residents Action Group, handing the keys of the van to the Balsall Heath Area Caretaker, Ricky Smith ( third from left). Ricky was based at the Balsall Heath Association. ...

1731 map detail

A section of the 1731 map surveyed by William Westley, showing the manor house and St Martins church.

Villa Cross public house, Handsworth

The Villa Cross public house, Handsworth, in around 1985. The view is looking east along Lozells Road. Heathfield Road is just out of sight on the left. Photographer unknown.

Villa Cross cinema, Handsworth

The Villa Cross cinema, Heathfield Road, Handsworth, at the junction with Lozells Road. Opened as the New Picture House in 1915, the cinema closed in April 1970. The photograph was taken in September ...

St Mary's Convent, Handsworth

St Mary's Convent, Hunter's Road, Handsworth. The convent was built in 1841 and owes its Gothic design to A. Welby Pugin. Its erection was financed by Birmingham manufacturer John Hardman. Photographer ...

Newton Place, Handsworth

Newton Place in the Hockley Brook valley, Handsworth, looking towards Soho Hill. On the skyline is St Michael's Church, dating from 1855, on the corner of Soho Hill and St Michael's Road. In this 1964 ...

Lea Hall, Handsworth

Lea Hall, Wood Lane, Handsworth. A 16th-century house stood on this site but the present building was erected by John Spencer in 1795. It has been the home of the Muntz and Willmott families among others, ...

Ivy House public house, Handsworth

The Ivy House public house, Handsworth, on the corner of Soho Road and Ivy Road. This is the 'new' Ivy House, the old one having been situated a short distance along Soho Road at the corner of Whitehall ...

Handsworth Community Library, Handsworth

Handsworth Community Library, Soho Road, Handsworth. The building had started life in 1879 as the council house for Handsworth Urban District Council. The branch library opened in the building in 1880. ...

Factory Road, Handsworth

Factory Road, Handsworth, looking north towards St Michael's Church on Soho Hill in 1968. This area is the site of Matthew Boulton's Soho Works. Photographer unknown

Hamstead Bridge, Handsworth

Hamstead Bridge, Old Walsall Road, Handsworth, also known as 'Turnpike Bridge'. In the background on the right can be seen the British Rail sign for Hamstead Station. Date not recorded. Photographer ...

Gordon Road, Handsworth

Gordon Road, Handsworth, looking south towards Finch Road in 1985. Gordon Road links Finch Road and Heathfield Road. Photographer unknown.

Council House, Handsworth

The Council House, Soho Road, Handsworth, built in 1878/79 for Handsworth Urban District Council. Part of the building formed the Library and Reading Room, opened in 1880. This 1983 view reveals that ...

Handsworth Old Town Hall by G Warren Blackham

The original Town Hall is situated in Grove Lane. The hall has been used as a workhouse, a lock-up and a parish office, for at least a century and a half. Described in 1709 as a messuage, and tenement, ...