Handsworth Old Rectory (and Manor House) - Sites and Monuments Record

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:1892

Description:The site of the Manor House was "not improbably" that occupied by the old rectory, close to the church, now part of Victoria Park. Its moat could have been fed by the little stream that still trickles through the hollow. The moat and drawbridge are mentioned in 1270, 100 years after it was built.

The Old Rectory no longer exists and the site is probably submerged in the present Fish Pond. Early prints indicate it stood somewhere between the island in the fishpond and the South wall of the graveyard. There are no visible remains of the Rectory, no traces of antiquity.

An archaeological assessment of the whole of Handsworth park was carried out in 1998 by BUFAU. This consisted of a search of documentary and cartographic sources, published and unpublished written records and a walkover survey. The moat was mentioned in the survey with reference to its appearance on the Inclosure map of 1793 and field names relating
to the word "moat" appearing on the Tithe Map of 1843. It was concluded that this supposed moat was more likely to be fishponds.

The picture of the Old Rectory dates from 1892 and was taken by Sir Benjamin Stone. It is held in the Local Studies Departement of Birmingham Central Library.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Benjamin Stone - Creator

Image courtesy of: BCC Planning/ Sites and Monuments Record ,  Local Studies and History Department

Donor ref:B'ham City Council/ LSH & Sites and Monuments (28/3774)

Source: BCC Planning/ Sites and Monuments Record ,  Local Studies and History Department

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.